Event Safety & Policies
ASTA is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all event (conference, summit, meeting, etc.) participants. All participants (attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, staff, service providers, students, etc.) are expected to abide by this code of conduct and policies.
These policies apply to all ASTA hosted events (in-person and virtual), including events sponsored by organizations other than ASTA but held in conjunction with ASTA events.
By registering for an event, you agree to the following policies.
- Full registration for events includes access to all sessions, events, and performances.
- Pre-conference Workshops require an additional fee not included in full conference registration.
- Only individuals registered and paid in full will receive access to the event.
- Attendees may pay by credit card or check.
- All fees are in U.S. dollars.
- If you are issuing a check from outside the U.S., the check must be bank-issued in U.S. funds (not handwritten).
- All checks must be made payable to: ASTA or American String Teachers Association. Check payments via regular mail must be sent to:
ASTA, PO Box 160605, Altamonte Springs, FL 32716-0605
- Payments are typically processed within 10 business days. Payments that are not received and/or postmarked by the registration deadlines will be subject to additional fees.
- ASTA is not responsible for delayed mail or incorrectly addressed correspondence.
- Purchase orders must be paid no later than 3 weeks prior to the start of the event.
- If you provide payment and require a charge to be reversed to use another form of payment, you will be charged a $50 administrative fee.
Cancelations and Refunds
- All transactions are final and non-refundable.
- Any emergency cancellation requests must be received in writing, email@example.com, no later than one month prior to the start of the event.
- In the event the ASTA Board of Directors takes action to cancel the event, participants will have the opportunity to request a refund within 30 days of the cancellation.
- Credit card processing and platform fees will not be refunded under any circumstance.
Consent to use Photos and Recordings
- Registration and attendance at, or participation in, ASTA hosted events and affiliated activities constitutes an agreement by the attendee for ASTA to use and distribute (both now and in the future) the individual’s image, likeness, or voice in photographs, video recordings, electronic reproductions, live chat discussions during sessions, and audio recordings of such events and activities for promotional purposes.
Confirmation and Communication
- ASTA will communicate important information leading up to the event by email.
- Membership is not required to participate in ASTA hosted events.
- ASTA members receive reduced registration rates, as well as access to journals, teaching resources, professional development, state chapter connections, and more. To learn more, go here.
Americans with Disabilities Act
- ASTA complies with ADA provisions. If you require special accommodations to participate fully in the event or need assistance, please contact ASTA staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than one month prior to the start of the event.
- ASTA has zero tolerance for any form of discrimination or harassment, verbal and physical, by participants or staff at our events. If you experience harassment or hear of any incidents of unacceptable behavior, we ask that you notify us immediately so we can take appropriate action.
- Notification should be done by contacting an ASTA executive staff person by emailing ASTA Executive Director and CEO, Lynn Tuttle, (email@example.com) and/or ASTA Deputy Executive Director JJ Norman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ASTA reserves the right to take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the event without warning or refund, in response to any incident of unacceptable behavior. In addition, ASTA reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future event.
- Unacceptable behaviors are defined as:
- Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form.
- Physical or verbal abuse. Examples of verbal abuse include, but are not limited to, disparaging comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin.
- Sexual language/images or nudity in public spaces or presentations, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, threatening, or stalking.
- Disruption of presentations during sessions, performances, in the exhibit hall, or at other events organized by ASTA throughout the meeting. All participants must comply with the instructions of the moderator and any ASTA event staff.
- The inclusion of promotional materials, special offers, job offers, product announcements, or solicitation for services during presentations or when posting messages. ASTA reserves the right to remove such messages and potentially ban sources of those solicitations.
- Unauthorized photography or recording. Taking screen shots or otherwise copying chat discussions, Q&As, or other activities in virtual spaces.