Prepare for Future Student Chapter Members
Transitioning from one student chapter board to the next can be difficult as students graduate and move on. The best way to sustain an active chapter is to ensure there are motivated individuals ready to take over year after year.
Create a President’s Journal with everything a future chapter leader would need to know, including:
- How to register your student chapter with the ASTA national office
- Officer roles and responsibilities
- What events you host or attend regularly
- Notes about your constitution
- How to hold elections for the next year
- Tips about past fundraisers
- A list of past events
- Financial information
- Social media account information
- Standard operating procedures
Encourage younger members of the chapter to be involved with decision making and event planning; leadership experience is a great resume item.
Train younger members to take over your position and responsibilities.
Younger members are more likely to stay involved in student activities if they are involved their first year; this will help to enhance longevity and prevent student turnover.