ASTA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In 2021, the ASTA Board of Directors created a fourth strategic driver for the association around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI): Advance DEI by engaging people who represent varied identities, differences, and musical styles. In accordance with this directive, ASTA recruited a twelve-member DEI Committee to assist the board by providing recommendations to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization.
The inaugural DEI Committee has taken up initiatives to:
- Expand local outreach to underserved students and string programs in the locale of the annual national conference.
- Pool and develop resources to assist ASTA members in finding music by diverse composers.
- Engage membership by soliciting input and perspectives surrounding current and future equity and inclusion.
- Examine barriers that may be preventing current and potential ASTA members from participating in the national conference.
Future initiatives include:
- Conduct research to examine shortages in string educators and inclusive practices in string education.
- Develop structures to support recruitment, preparation, and retention of new string educators from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds.
One of the outcomes for this driver is to increase opportunities for members to safely share perspectives, concerns, and/or ideas about inclusion and a sense of belonging. We invite you to share with us through our ASTA member DEI Suggestion Form
. We thank you for taking the time to provide your input.